Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Favorite Genealogy Books and Other Recommended Reads

Ground-breaking. Informative. Essential.

These words come to mind when I considering certain books in my office. Not just any books, mind you. Books that enlarged the world that is genealogy for me. The world I spend many waking hours speculating on my ancestors, imagining their conditions, their ambitions, their experiences. These books helped shape reality in regards to my ancestors. They have closed the gap between imagination and truth.

18th century America - the frontier. Several books reside on my shelf that cover various aspects of frontier migrations of the 1700's, such as:

Settlers by the Long Grey Trail: A Contribution to the History and Genealogy of Colonial Families of Rockingham County, Virginia (by J. Houston Harrison) [Amazon]


Carolina Cradle: Settlement of the Northwest Carolina Frontier, 1747-1762 (by Robert W. Ramsey) [Amazon]



Boone: A Biography (by Robert Morgan) [Amazon]


North Carolina Land Grants in South Carolina (by Brent Holcomb) [Amazon]


Bethania: The Village by the Black Walnut Bottom (by Beverly Hamel) [Amazon]


Surry County, North Carolina Wills, 1771-1827 (by Jo White Linn) [Amazon]


Tunis Hood Family: Its Lineage and Traditions (by Dellmann O. Hood) [Amazon]


There are other books, of course, but these happen to reside in locations of prominence above my desk. In a future post I'll share some other resources of importance to me, but for now I'll digress with these.

ENJOY!

WP

Popular Posts (Most Viewed)